There is no easy solution for an unplanned pregnancy. If you’ve already terminated a previous pregnancy and are now pregnant again, you may have decided to explore other options.
The good news is that you have options other than abortion: parenting and adoption. As you weigh your choices, there are many resources and programs available to help you feel supported in whatever decision you make.
Whether you’re already a parent, weren’t planning on parenting in the immediate future, or always thought you would remain childless, you are not alone.
Many women with unplanned pregnancies who choose parenthood go on to find incredible fulfillment in nurturing and raising their children. Parenthood is an adventure that comes with unique advantages and trade-offs.
Use these questions to help evaluate if parenting is the right option for you:
- Do I have someone I can rely on for emotional support through this journey? What does my support system look like, and would it change if I became a parent?
- Do I have a safe and stable home to raise a baby?
- Would having a baby affect my education or long-term career goals? How can I continue with those if I choose parenthood?
These are big questions, and it’s okay if you don’t have answers right now. But keep practical questions in mind as you weigh all of your options.
If you want to carry the pregnancy to term but know that parenting is not in the cards for you, adoption is a viable option. Whatever your unique situation, you can make an adoption plan that works for you.
There are some helpful terms to understand to evaluate the best option:
- Open Adoption – You build and maintain a relationship with your child and the adoptive family you have chosen.
- Closed Adoption – The court seals any information about you and the adoption. There is no contact with the child or adoptive family.
- Semi-Open Adoption – Although any identifying information is kept confidential, you can communicate with the adoptive parents and child through the adoption agency.
You can design an adoption plan that matches your level of comfort. You may also be eligible to have your living and medical expenses covered while you’re pregnant.
At Life Choices Center, we want you to feel supported during your pregnancy. We offer no-cost services such as referrals for onsite ultrasounds and options consultations.
No matter where you’re coming from, we provide a safe space to share concerns, ask questions, and connect you to local resources related to parenting or adoption.
You are not alone—we are here for you! Please contact us today to make an appointment.